1997 World Series Game Seven


I thought about this game the other day, so I looked up a highlight video. Here's just a few thoughts on a classic World Series game:

--I miss the Florida Marlins. I'm not feeling the Miami Marlins. It's really not a big deal, and it's probably me being a grumpy old man, but Florida Marlins sounds better. I also like the logo better.

--The new stadium is definitely an upgrade to whatever trash heap the Marlins called home in 1997, so I'm not against change. Okay?

--Except that teal wall around the stadium. That's the best wall I've seen in a baseball stadium.

--Tony Fernandez gives Cleveland the lead with a single, but later commits an error that allows the Marlins to take the lead. Baseball sucks sometimes.

--Al Leiter started this game for the Marlins and he looks like an fifty year old truck driver. Baseball players look too athletic these days.

--Bobby Bonilla hits a home run and poses a little bit. I'm a little too young to remember Bonilla well, but I do remember him from a video game as a kid. He was okay. If you're a Mets fan reading this, your team is still paying Bonilla. That sucks, right? Baseball sucks sometimes. So do overpriced contracts for aging sluggers.

--Edgar Renteria hits a single to win the game and the World Series. Good for him, I guess. Somehow he was able to retain that clutch gene until 2010, because he won the World Series MVP that year against the Texas Rangers. Who are my favorite team. Thanks for the memories, Edgar.

--After the Marlins win, Jim Leyland loses his mind and points at someone in the stands. I don't know the story behind it, but I get the feeling that Leyland called his shot. He then walks toward his celebrating players near home plate, waving his hands to pump up the crowd. I miss Jim Leyland.

--MLB should change Miami's name back to the Florida Marlins. I basically said that above, but it's so important I think it should be repeated.

--I also miss the days when the Marlins would get crazy hot for a year, win the World Series, then systematically dismantle their team for the sake of saving a few dollars.

Comments